Why Do We Do What We Do?
“See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principals of this world rather than on Christ.” Colossians 2: 8
Human traditions and worldly principals? There we have much of the “Church” today. Instead of depending on Christ alone; the “Church” has its multitude of traditions and it holds onto them with a kung foo death grip.
Some of these crippling traditions are as follows:
1. Calling the bible The Word of God. This is a tradition developed by the “Church” in the past 500 years. It elevates the bible to a place equal or higher than The Holy Spirit and allows those who read best to manipulate and control the masses. Please take note…the bible itself never claims that it is The Word of God and in fact it shows that Jesus Himself is The Word. Anyone who says we are to be bible led, denies the rightful place of The Spirit in our lives. The bible does indeed contain words of God, but in itself it is not The Word of God. The Bible was never meant to be a rule book that is used to dominate others.
2. Calling the building where we meet The Church. The whole idea that we can GO to Church is a terrible tradition. The Church is comprised of the people who follow Christ. This Church is the people and NEVER the building where they happen to meet. Don’t Go To Church, BE The Church!
3. Tithing is a terrible tradition. It was a requirement in the Old Covenant, but is no longer in Christ. Now it is done only as a tradition. It was used to support the Levitical Priesthood, but now in the New Covenant we are all Priests. Sure we should be cheerful givers, but to widows and orphans and such and not Clergy and building programs.
4. Another crippling tradition says that leadership is male. This fallacy places men over women and denies females of their God given places in the Body of Christ. It is supposed to be The Priesthood of ALL Believers and not just males. We are all supposed to submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
5. Any tradition such as The Clergy/Laity division that allows for any hierarchy within the church comes exclusively from the teachings of men and Not God. In Christ we all will have times when we take the lead in fellowship as The Spirit leads us. There is not a separate class of Christ followers that are OVER all other followers of Jesus. Yes, I rail against this one a lot.
6. The most recent tradition of “men” that has plagued the Church is the corporate business model of doing “church”. In this model The Pastor is the CEO of the church and he has a board of other “leaders” and together they control the church. The motivating factor of this tradition is money and we all know that whoever controls the money also controls the vision of the “church”.
There are certainly other traditions of “men” that limit the effectiveness of the Church, but I will stop here for now. I will say this though….ANYTHING that would have us depend on something other than Jesus is faulty and wrong. Too many churches are more about building projects and storing up treasures here on earth then they are about being true to the message of Jesus. He wants all of us to be renewed and turned away from the things of earth, so that we can instead follow Him rather than the traditions of “men”. Traditions serve only themselves; we are to love and serve people. Relationships matter way more than ANY tradition. I do not do anything for the sake of tradition. I do what I do because Christ leads me to; and if He does it more than just once that is great too.
Kirk Out !